Your signatures talk for you
Email signatures are no less important than visit cards, but they are the equivalent of your printed business cards – small, simple, but no-less essential to your brand and to your individual professional persona. E-mail signatures are an easy way to promote yourself and your projects in your everyday correspondence. They are fairly un-intrusive (if you keep them short and simple), but they let your peers know what you are working on and how they can contact you via social media.
Using a poorly constructed email signature is like writing your name on a scrap of paper and handing it to a client or Human Resources manager – it accomplishes the task, but at what cost to professionalism?
What Makes a Great Email Signature?
A full-featured professional email signature meets the following requirements:
- displays your brand identity (logo) in a clear, reliable fashion
- contains active links to your website, your LinkedIn or blog, bio when available, and maps to your office
- contains all key contact information in an easy-to-read format
- includes confidentiality statements as needed
- includes active links to social media services you maintain a presence on
- includes a link to a downloadable vCard, enabling people to easily save your information to their address book
- performs as reliably as is possible across all email programs and devices
- provides for a degree of individual user flexibility, allowing for the inclusion or exclusion of various data elements
- is easy to deploy initially, and is easy to keep current as employees change roles and new-hires are brought on board
WiseStamp can be used for e-mail signatures and many people use it in their work. Please find below how to set up and use WiseStamp for your own elegant e-mail signature.
WiseStamp is a good choice because it allows customizing the signature with a few links, but it also uses icons for popular social media sites that you belong to. The signature is short, informative, and, best of all, easy to set up! To set up your own signature, just follow the steps below.
- Go to http://www.wisestamp.com/
- Click the Download Now button. This will download the software to your computer (it is safe) so you can customize it and use it. (You may have to re-start your browser in order for it to recognize you have installed new software.)
- Find the WiseStamp icon in the bottom right corner of your browser (it looks like the old-fashioned ink stamp).
- Click on the WiseStamp icon and choose Edit Signature. A new dialog box will come up with information you can customize. At the top of the dialog box are two tabs: General and Settings
The General Tab
This is where you will be able to see what your signature looks like as you build it. You can even build different signatures to appear on business or personal e-mails.
To start building your signature, choose whether this is your personal or business signature, and then start typing your information into the text box.
Once your text signature is complete, look underneath the text box and start filling in the relevant social media accounts, IM, and RSS information. You can include your Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn accounts.
The settings tab gives you even more options relating to how your signature will display. You can try things and tweak or change them as necessary until your signature looks exactly as you would like it to appear.